Wellbeing - what it means to me
By Laurens Maas
Wellbeing is a multifaceted term that describes the healthy, contented and prosperous condition we all aspire to.
Wellbeing is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as “the state of being comfortable, healthy, or happy.” However, it is important to realise that wellbeing is a much broader concept than moment-to-moment happiness. Better described as the achievement and maintenance of physical fitness, excellent health and mental stability.
When Marcus asked me ‘what does that word mean to you’ I had to reply ‘everything’! As far back as I can remember I have been fascinated with ‘how things work’ and of course, in my field of expertise, it is how to make the human body work to its very best level.
I started with Osteopathy, the biomechanics of the human frame and later moved into biological terrain, learning about our internal terrain and how to optimise that terrain through adjusting diet, lifestyle, stress, and sleep.
27 years later I’m a Dr of Integrated Medicine (USA) and even more passionate about health now than I was when I started!
How we have chosen to live in the past has a direct relationship to what our terrain is saying today. There is an internal score card, happening 24-hours a day, pluses and minuses that dictate how our bodies perform today, tomorrow and into our future.
My passion is to take a client and their current set of symptoms and trace back with them, weeks, months, years even, to find where the internal calculation started to go into minus, the cause of the current effect, and trust me there is always one if not a series of incidents that lead to the cascade.
In our clinic using my unique programme, The Maas Method, we build recovery journeys for each of our clients. We have a point of care lab in-house that gives us real time data to build our clients health map and we extensively test hormones, guts, foods, thyroid and more using premier international laboratories to design bespoke and individualised recovery programmes for each client.
Our programmes are not for the faint of heart, in fact optimal health truly is for the committed, for the self empowered or for those headed in that direction. With true wellness there is no magic pill, no golden bullet, just dedication and commitment from each and every person that embarks on the journey; there are no shortcuts here.
Our team of naturopaths and nutritionists, including our support staff, are there to be sure that each of my programmes is executed with exact precision to garner the best result for all of our clients! I love our clients to become their own inner physicians, to learn to listen to and understand what their bodies are telling them. I am so passionate about this that at least 5 of my clients have recently changed careers and started studying fields such as nutrition, naturopathy, NLP and even Functional Medicine. If I am an inspiration then it means that I am doing my job well!
But there is so much that we can do to change our lives and lifestyles for the better; to achieve a great continual sense of Wellbeing. Simple things that we like to call Bio Hacks.
Here are a few of my top faves:
- love yourself with self care: grooming, skin care, facials, massages - remember the skin is our biggest organ so what we put on it truly makes a difference! I recommend Barbershop Botanicals above anything, I just love their products and their ethos.
- ground yourself with your mind work: meditation, prayer, visualisation and literally get your feet in the mud, on the earth, every single day, not your shoes, your bare feet!
- strengthen yourself: with a nutritious and rainbow coloured diet, do yoga, running, gym, cycling; it does not matter what you choose, just choose something and do it, daily!
- honour your organ systems: just like your vehicle is checked and maintained annually, even more so should your body be serviced and maintained, cars can be bought but this human skin we are in, it’s a one body per life deal so look after it well and choose the right practitioner.
- give back to your community: whatever way you choose, get involved with your tribe, your community, your humans. Do good for others and you will be doing good for yourself, trust me on this one.
- nurture your family: everything in life comes and goes but I can tell you that my biggest reward and my constant light of salvation has been my wife and children. Take the time to create memories and laughter, get to know who they are and let them get to know the real you too. When the world is falling to pieces, the love of family is everything.
Some biohacking tools that I use for great health:
Oura ring - the most amazing piece of wearable software. All of my patients wear them, check them out.
- Yve Water filters - clean water is key. The water samples we have tested from clients around the UK….eek! Trust me when I say you need a water filter.
- Zinc tally taste test - always know that your zinc levels (immunity) is in top top shape - we use https://www.lambertshealthcare.co.uk/minerals/zinc/zincatest/
- Soemac unit - this has been a lifesaver for many of my patients with sleep challenges.
- Vitamin C strips - cheap and cheerful but so essential. Our zinc and Vitamin C levels are essential for robust immune health so always handy to know you are at good levels.
- Meditation/meditation app - find yourself a great teacher ideally, if not find an app that resonates with you and commit to it daily and watch your daily life transform.
To learn more about us, www.themaasclinic.com and follow us on social media @themaasclinic to learn all about our services, our shop and how we can help you. It’s a great place to get access to delicious recipes and top health tips that is continually updated.
Watch our social media channels for updates on our exciting 30-day Remote Immunity programme going LIVE now through the clinic and our up coming deep dive fully online client education programme, 30-days to Super Immunity which will be coming on stream early next year.